Module 1: Creating a Supportive Learning Community - Module Descriptions
In this module, teachers and students work together to create the type of learning environment that is welcoming, supportive, and instructive of how to succeed in school. The lessons are designed to help students:
- Become familiar with cooperative learning strategies that increase engagement in learning (e.g., think-pair-share, class discussions, group activities, jigsaw, and active listening)
- Gain an awareness of what affects the social functioning of groups
- Build supportive relationships with their teacher and classmates
- Recognize the value of an education and why it is important to do well in school
- Develop the mental frameworks, organizational strategies, and study skills that lead to academic success
Module 2: Developing Self-Awareness and Self-Management - Module Descriptions
In this module, students build intrapersonal awareness of their thought processes, emotions, strengths, and hopes for the future, and practice self-management strategies. The lessons are designed to help students:
- Understand the effects of thought on emotions and behavior
- Be aware of and manage their emotions
- Reduce habits of negative thinking
- Induce positive emotions
- Develop coping strategies for stress reduction
- Identify their strengths and interests
- Explore careers and colleges
- Set and achieve goals
Module 3: Building Relationships and Resolving Conflicts - Module Descriptions
In this module, students explore how to build positive, healthy relationships, resolve conflicts, and make responsible decisions. The lessons are designed to help students:
- Develop skills that build positive relationships
- Empathize with and show compassion for others
- Apply a problem-solving approach to conflicts
- Make responsible decisions that impact their lives in positive ways
- Manage social media and resist cyberbullying
- Deal with gossip, bullying, and negative peer pressure
- Understand and utilize the power of apologizing and forgiving
- Develop healthy guidelines for dating
- Understand the importance of helping others and volunteering
Module 4: Preparing for College & the Workforce
Inspired by the many requests from School-Connect educators for lessons for 11th and 12th grade students, this new module applies social & emotional skills to employability skills, the college application process, and ultimately preparing for independent living. As high school students head out into the world and experience greater independence and responsibility, this module will help equip them to:
- Set goals and transition successfully from high school to college and/or the workforce.
- Identify "best fit" colleges and complete their college applications.
- Write a compelling college essay that highlights their social, emotional, and academic skills.
- Work well together with co-workers, classmates, customers, and their employer/teachers.
- Learn from feedback to improve their performance at school, home, and work.
- Handle high-pressure times by managing stress and applying mindfulness.
- Keep a budget and make smart, safe financial decisions.